Terms of Use and Privacy Policy
Last updated 3 October 2026The Journey is made and run by Jan Trautwein through coLiberate ventures, LLC. This page is both documents that govern it at list.jantrautwein.com: the terms you accept by using it, and what happens to everything you write there. I say "I" throughout, because there is no team — when it matters legally, the company named above is the one responsible.
The journey asks you to write down things that are genuinely yours. A policy about that should be short enough to actually read, and specific where it counts.
What this is, and what it is not
A short, video-guided reflective experience. A film plays, stops, and asks you a question. At some stops a guide — text written by an AI model in response to what you wrote — reflects it back and invites you further in.
It is not therapy, counselling, medical care, psychological assessment or professional advice of any kind. The guide is a language model: it can be wrong, it has no training and no duty of care, and nothing it writes should decide anything about your health, safety, money, work or relationships.
If you are in crisis or thinking about harming yourself, please contact a local emergency number or a crisis line — in the US, call or text 988; in the UK and Ireland, call 116 123; elsewhere, findahelpline.com lists a service for your country. Nothing here is monitored in real time.
Using it
You need to be at least 16. There is no password: partway through, you give a first name and an email, and your browser gets a signed cookie that names your save file for thirty days. Anyone using that browser can continue your journey, so take the usual care on a shared computer.
Please use it lawfully, and don't write in someone else's personal details, harass anyone, attack or scrape the service, or try to reach another person's journey or the admin pages. I can suspend access and delete a save file where that has happened. The guide is capped and is a companion inside this experience, not a general-purpose assistant.
What I collect, and who can see it
Only what you give me or what is measured as you go. There is no advertising technology and no third-party tracking anywhere in this product.
| What | Why it exists |
|---|---|
| Your first name and email | To make your save file, let you return to it, and stay in touch — see section 05 |
| What you write, and your conversation with the guide | They are the journey. They are shown back to you and used to write your summary |
| Progress, experience points, completion | To resume you in the right place |
| Timings and counts | How long a question was sat with, whether you went back, where people stop. Lengths and numbers only — this record is prevented, on both sides, from holding words |
| Your summary | What the journey gives you at the end, and what is mailed to you |
Because of what the journey asks, what you write may include things the law treats as sensitive — about your health, your beliefs or your relationships. You decide what to write; where that happens I rely on your explicit consent, and you can withdraw it by asking me to delete your journey.
I can read journeys, through a password-protected admin page, and I may keep private notes about a traveller so I can follow up well. That is how a product made by one person works, and it would be misleading to imply otherwise. Those notes are about you and you can ask to see them. Nobody else has access — there is no team, no sales tool, no data broker. I never sell what you write, never rent it, never share it for anyone's advertising, and nothing you write is ever published without you choosing it.
Your answers, your summary, your name and your email are deliberately kept out of every log line in this application.
Why I am allowed to use it
If you are in the UK or the European Economic Area, these are the lawful bases under the GDPR:
- Performance of a contract — storing your answers, running the guide, resuming your journey, and sending you the emails that are part of the experience.
- Consent — speaking an answer instead of typing it, the optional Google sign-in, sharing an entry publicly, and anything you write that turns out to be sensitive. Each is separate and each can be withdrawn.
- Legitimate interests — keeping the service secure and working, understanding in aggregate where people stop, and staying in touch about the journey. You can object at any time.
- Legal obligation — where I have to keep or produce something by law.
Your email address
I use it to run the journey for you and to stay in touch about it. In practice that means your save file and the guidance, reflections and summary that are part of the experience; a reminder if you stop partway through; and occasional notes from me about the journey and what I am building around it.
Every one of those carries a one-click unsubscribe, and stopping them is instant and unconditional. Unsubscribing stops the letters I choose to send; it does not stop a reply to something you pressed a button to ask for.
When you follow the link in one of these emails, it passes through this site on its way, which counts that it was followed. That is how I learn which letters are worth sending. Whether you opened an email is not measured.
If you join the waitlist, your address is used for that alone. I send one email asking you to confirm it, and you are not on the list until you click it; if you never do, nothing more is sent. Once you are on it, you hear when the game opens and get the occasional piece from me on playing life as a game, each with a one-click unsubscribe. The address is kept in Resend's contact list, under "Waitlist", so those letters can be sent.
I do not sell or rent your address, I do not share it for anyone else's advertising, and I will not put you on a list you cannot leave. If I ever want to email you about something I am selling, I will ask you first.
Who helps me run it
A small number of companies do one named job each, under contracts that let them act only on my instructions. The categories are what matter; the examples are who does it today and may change.
| What they do | Currently |
|---|---|
| Hosting and the database that holds your journey | Hostinger, and Supabase — the database is hosted in Ireland (EU) |
| The AI that writes the guide's replies and your summary | Anthropic. Your answers go, your name and email do not |
| Speech-to-text, only if you speak an answer | OpenAI. The recording is held in memory for one request and never stored |
| Delivering the emails in section 05, and keeping the list of addresses they go to | Resend |
| The optional "Continue with Google" button | Google, and only if you press it |
| Counting visits | Self-hosted on this domain. No third party — see section 10 |
None of them is permitted to use what I send them to train AI models, and neither do I.
Where it lives
The database is hosted in the European Union (Ireland), so what you write is stored in Europe. I am a US company and several of the providers above are US companies, so some processing happens in the United States. Where personal data leaves the UK or the EEA I rely on the European Commission's Standard Contractual Clauses and the UK Addendum, or on a provider's Data Privacy Framework certification. Ask and I will tell you which applies to which.
How long I keep it
Until you ask me to delete it. That is deliberate: the thing the journey gives you is a save file you can come back to, and quietly deleting it after a period would take that from people who never asked.
Ask, and it goes — your answers, your conversation with the guide, your summary, your timings and my notes about you, together, as one deletion. Write to legal@coliberate.ventures. Two things outlive it by necessity: the record that an address asked not to be written to again, which is what keeps the unsubscribe working, and anything I must keep by law. Emails already delivered cannot be recalled from an inbox.
Your rights
Wherever you are, you can ask me to give you a copy of everything I hold about you (my private notes included), correct it, delete it, restrict or object to how it is used, send it somewhere else, or withdraw a consent you gave. There is no charge and I will answer within 30 days.
Write to legal@coliberate.ventures from the address you used. If you are in the UK or the EEA and my answer does not satisfy you, you can complain to your national data protection authority. If you live in California, Colorado, Connecticut, Virginia or another US state with a comparable law, you have equivalent rights — and since I do not sell personal information, do not share it for cross-context behavioural advertising, and do not profile anyone, there is nothing further to opt out of.
The legal bits
The film, writing, design, images, music and software of The Journey belong to coLiberate ventures, LLC and are protected by copyright. You may use the journey; you may not copy, republish, resell or build a derivative of it without written permission. What you write, and your own summary, are yours — you keep every right in them, and you give me only the permission needed to run the journey for you and do the things this document describes.
The journey is provided "as is" and "as available", without warranties of any kind, express or implied. It is a work in progress and offered in that spirit; it may change, be suspended or be withdrawn at any time, and I do not warrant that it will be uninterrupted or that the guide's replies will be accurate or suitable for you.
To the fullest extent permitted by law, coLiberate ventures, LLC is not liable for indirect, incidental, special, consequential or punitive damages, or for loss of data, profits or goodwill, arising from your use of the journey or from anything the guide writes. Where liability cannot be excluded it is limited to one hundred US dollars. These terms are governed by the laws of New Mexico, United States; if you are a consumer in the UK or the EU this does not deprive you of the mandatory protections, or the courts, of your own country.
Nothing here limits liability for death or personal injury caused by negligence, for fraud, or for anything else that cannot lawfully be limited — and if you are a consumer, your statutory rights are unaffected.
I review this page as the product changes, and the date at the top is when it last changed. Where a change materially affects your rights I will say so on the journey itself, and where the law requires your consent I will ask rather than assume.
Contact
For anything in this document, for a copy of your data, or to have your journey deleted: legal@coliberate.ventures. For anything about the journey itself: hello@jantrautwein.com. coLiberate ventures, LLC is the data controller for the purposes of the UK and EU GDPR.